Friday, July 16, 2010

Losing Sleep Over the Future...Part II

It's back.

Evenings of feeling sleepy but not getting much sleep at all. Since my last experience with insomnia, I've done relatively well with maintaining a [somewhat decent] sleep pattern but recently, I believe it's back because I have so much on my mind. Again.

Not that it's a surprise really. Next weekend I am auditioning for what myself & others would profess to be the zenith of all NBA dance teams, and I feel somewhat ready. I don't know what to expect which is why I can't say that I feel totally ready. Which is one of the reasons why I can't sleep.

Another obvious reason would be the evident relocation that is ever so lingering. It dances before my eyes, taunting me with everything I do. I get in my car everyday, and all I see are Ivy's electrical issues that need to get fixed before she gets towed to Florida. I go to work, and all I see are the items around my desk that I'll soon need to pack or the 3rd conversation I'll need to have with my boss. I return home in the evenings, and I see boxes and ideas for what should be packed & how. Then I get overwhelmed by everything that has to get done...except, I don't know by when. I've learned a lot about myself over the years but in regards to the relocation, I've noticed that as I approach 30:

  • I like order

  • I like calendars

  • I like consistency

  • I like to have a plan

My life currently:

  • lacks order

  • I'm well aware of dates/upcoming deadlines

  • I'm in a consistent routine majority of the time but

  • I lack a definite plan*
*I thought I had a plan, but then reality set in and I've realized that my plan may need to be tentative for now, and that's ok.


Most of the time, I feel like I have to focus on one thing at a time in order to achieve anything but having been dubbed as "the Queen of Multitasking" at the office, this is so frustrating for me!

I know one thing: something's gotta give. I'm not sleeping well and I don't foresee it getting any better before the big audition day. Somehow I need to find a way to clear my mind & not worry so much, however I should also add that another thing I'm learning about myself is my dislike of the unknown. If we're dating, I don't like not knowing if we're exclusive or not because I function better with guidelines. If I'm going to a function, I don't like not knowing what the attire is for fear of being the oddly dressed guest. If I'm going to pick up and leave my house & loved ones behind, I don't like not knowing if I have a job lined up (a day job &/or my dream dance job), or what my living arrangements are going to look like in reality. Maybe at 22 I wouldn't mind at all but at 29? Not so much.

But yet I am so determined to make my dream, my goal a reality...

So... I guess I won't be sleeping well again tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Monique, the best advice I have is to pray about it and tell yourself that it is in God's hands. What makes what you are doing so brave is that it is a gamble. If it was secure then everyone would do it. You are taking a chance. I admire you.

    ReplyDelete