Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bumps

The character Samantha Jones from Sex And The City once said "a bump in the road is NEVER good & it doesn't make sense to wait around to see how NOT good!" (probably not a verbatim quote, sorry) before gesturing to the lead character Carrie, to turn her frown upside down. This is so true. I love those writers.

Ironically, while happily in the middle of selecting the pictures & finalizing my thoughts on the verbiage for the last blog post, I was asked by my boss to join him in a nearby enclave. "Do I need a pen & paper too?" I asked, noticing that he had a legal pad & Paper Mate pen in hand. "Nah" he replied, then we sat & he informed me that his boss didn't approve of my proposal to transfer my current job to Miami.

"I feel as if my hands are tied" was a thought that popped in my head. Yes, it's another Sex And The City quote, from Carrie this time (perhaps I'm still on the movie's Sequel Premiere Night high). Anyway, I felt like I couldn't respond. I couldn't shout "WHAT?! WHYYY?!!!" like I initially felt like saying. I wouldn't dare cry, even though I felt the urge. Instead, I felt like the appropriate response would be to thank him for the consideration. So I dug deep inside the aching pit of my stomach, managed a half smile & did just that. My hands were tied so tightly behind my back.

I've always been somewhat superstitious, my father is too, so we'll blame him. Since having the conversation with my boss, more "ironic" things happened or shall I say simply that I noticed a couple of "signs" that would steer me away from diving into the negative sea:



  1. I've been meaning to call Michelle all weekend to tell her how relieved I was to have gotten support from my job, regarding my relocating. Something told me to hold off on calling her. So yesterday, after only a couple minutes of leaving the office, she called me to check on me & see how things were going. I cried finally, told her what happened and come to find out, she knows of a possible opportunity for me in Miami. It would be part time, but it would be something...


  2. After getting a moment to myself, I checked my email and received a forward from my aunt. I hate forwards but I read it anyway. Largely it said, "The moment you receive this say..." and then it went into the Lord's Prayer. Below that it read: "God wanted me to tell you it shall be well with you this coming year. No matter how much your enemies will try this year, they will not succeed. You have been destined to make it and you shall surely achieve all your goals this year. For all of 2010, all your agonies will be diverted and victory and prosperity will be incoming in abundance. Today God has confirmed the end of your sufferings, sorrows and pain because HE that sits on the throne has remembered you. He has taken away the hardships and given you JOY.. He will never let you down."


Now, I'll be the first to admit that I am not highly religious. I do not believe that going to church every Sunday will get me into Heaven and therefore suggesting that NOT going, yet believing that Jesus is your saviour, shan't get you anywhere. I am a Christian and to receive this, at that moment in time, was a quick reminder of the strength that's inside of me. The strength that God has given me. So to me (being very superstitious & somewhat religious) those two signs were swift reminders that I can still do this.

The decision my boss's boss made is simply a bump in the road, and I am going to take Samantha's advice to not focus on the bump. I need to keep walking forward, acknowledge that yes, I had a slight stumble but I haven't fallen down completely. This is still my goal and besides, sometimes it's necessary to have some bumps along the way so that the journey really becomes worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment