Thursday, July 1, 2010

In due time...

Since the recent "bad news", I decided to truly make my actions speak volumes by not dwelling on the negativity. In turn, I've had some recent "good news", one being that I get to keep my job here in Charlotte and another being that I'm having increased showings of my place. Things are (slowly but surely) looking up...


Now I'm sitting at my desk having said goodbye to a fellow colleague & friend who, on "Layoff Thursday", was saying adieu to begin a new life in Raleigh, NC. She has accepted a new position with a new company there & I couldn't be happier for her. So I sit here, grateful for not being laid off (not yet, anyway. It's only 3:26pm) but anxious for Miami to bring me similar luck that Raleigh has brought my dear colleague.



Just as I start to feel a bit too anxious, I reflect on an inspiring conversation I had with recent author and a prior coach of mine last week. After telling her via email that the plan was in definite motion, she requested that I called her to discuss my upcoming relocation. As I scrolled through my contacts I have to admit that I had butterflies in my esophagus, stomach, uterus, patella, you name it. I was about to call a strong, well-respected woman that I truly admire as a dancer & as a mentor! Granted, when she was "just my coach" she was intimidating, harsh and sometimes relentless but in retrospect, she is one of the reasons why I enjoyed dancing in the NBA and had difficulty enjoying it after she left. She just....knows. She gets it. She gets me. She understands me and my aspirations as a dancer. She helped mold me into the dancer I am today. Damn right I had butterflies.


When she answered on the other end, she sounded disgustingly happy. You know when people sound genuinely happy from within their core? That's exactly how she sounded even with her infant daughter exclaiming something in the background. She asked me general questions about The Move, like: When are you going? Do you have a job down there? Will you be auditioning for the Heat? If you're thinking about it, have you gone to any pre-audition clinics? Things of that nature. She serenely offered her advice and well-needed words of wisdom before saying one last thing to me:


"Monique, I want you to relax. I know that you're probably tackling everything all at once and I think it's very important to take one day at a time." In other words, do not exhaust yourself.


I immediately felt like crying. For months I have been trying to accomplish everything, all at once, so having received last week's "bad news", I felt a huge setback quite honestly. So I needed to hear what she had to say, and at that moment. I needed her to tell me to stop trying to juggle all these balls while blind-folded on a unicycle. And with what I've been feeling lately, I needed someone to tell me to sit back, do what needed to be done at the moment, but don't necessarily think everything had to be dealt with simultaneously. I tend to be an "all or nothing" type of gal, and she knew that about me. She knew she needed to speak with me now that I've made up my mind, so that she can essentially tell me to chill out.


I can only hope that I do her proud.


In the meantime, I will continue to trek along this self-imposed goal but employ patience knowing that it's okay to tackle one thing at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice
    Your mentor was right on time – how great was it for her to take time out and love you enough to tell you those things
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks homie!! You're right... :)

    ReplyDelete