Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I Do...but not yet

I discovered that the general median age for 1st marriages is 26 for women and 28 for men. In DC, 30 is the median age whereas it's the median age only for New York women.

In Florida, it's about the same as the general median, which puts me at a late-bloomer status. As I pontificate and progress towards relocation, I can't help but think deeply of old and newly-formed relationships. My thoughts scatter all over the place and frequently. I think about the 1st person I became friends with in high school, Zena. Me being the newbie from Florida & not knowing a soul, she took me in and we were the best of friends. I think of a crush I had my freshman year in high school who passed away over the Christmas break and remember how confused and shocked I was to realize that we can die so young. I remember my 1st love and those that followed...what they've taught me and what I've taught them, and I mentally thank them for those memories. I reminisce on past spring breaks and summer vacations, past adventures and past lessons I've learned in the 16 years here in Charlotte, NC.

When I mentioned relocating to my boss, he was naturally surprised but surprisingly supportive. He applauded me for being able to 'pick up and go' and 'live my life'. I responded agreeably, 'Yes! It truly is a blessing that I'm not married & don't have kids, so that I can actually DO this fairly easily!'

As soon as the words left my mouth, I felt slight remorse for verbalizing that thought. Is it a blessing to be almost 30 sans husband and child? I wondered briefly if my boss now believed that I thought it was impossible to relocate with a family and that it's a burden. I actually think about marriage and being a part of THAT team but I recognize that I'm just not ready for any of that yet. I'm about to embark on a new chapter in my life, one that promises to be exciting and hopefully what I've expected for years now. The most I'm willing to consider right now is a long-distance boyfriend and even that can be risky.

Yet everywhere I turn are reminders of the decade I'm entering. A commercial comes to mind where a lady comments about her daughter being 35 and unwed. Is that so bad?

I'll admit, I have some traditional values but I'm not super conventional. I'm not one to have an age deadline of when to recite my vows. I don't know my ring size nor have I been dreaming about what my gown will look like. I'm just not that girl! So when the time comes for me to say "I do," I want to be sure that I REALLY DO, not just because I'm of the age to do so! In the meantime, I'll continue planning to relocate, live out my dreams and enjoy my life as it stands.

Surely that can't be so bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment