Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Where are the articles on CNN.com?

Everything I would click on, anything that remotely sparked my interest was a video. When did we stop reading? Perhaps I'm still a bit behind on the times but there is something refreshing about picking up a book and reading. Ok, let me not go too far as I am not referring to a novel simply an article on a website, or so I thought. It is almost as if to say we have pushed all literature (and the God-forsaken HANDWRITTEN literature), and replaced it with technology. Now, anyone who knows me KNOWS I love the excitement & capabilities technology brings. On one hand, I can journey through the donut land with Yoshi dodging enormous cannons and play in the clouds…and on the other hand I can completely organize myself to a "T", listen to all music ever made on a less-than-one-pound gadget while never missing a meeting. I am the girl that had CDs before a CD player. This is me. But some things are sacred to me. I read articles online because I don't subscribe to the Observer. I don't watch CNN b/c TV is my tool for escapism. But I do like to know what's going on, and I like reading articles to find out. So now you're telling me I'm forced to watch TV online? There wasn't even an option (I think that's what sparked this blog!). Offer me the article and the video please. Paper or plastic? Chocolate or vanilla? We live in a society of options. Nope, not on CNN.com. You know, my bosses call me the 'English major' because I'm the editor on most correspondence. I don't claim to know it all, not in the slightest. I just think that if you read you have a better grasp on how language flows, that's all. You may even learn a word or two (Like, "antidisestablishmentarianism"… opposing the belief that there shouldn't be an official church in a country…I think it's the 2nd largest word in the dictionary too!). Don't mind me though, I'm just a simple girl annoyed I couldn't read a stupid article on the influx of battered teachers. I mean, what if I was deaf? (ok, I'm stretching, but you get what I mean!?). I just fear that the 7th graders I used to teach (that were reading on a 5th grade level) are never going to get caught up, especially if we believe television and internet are the only forms of knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. We stopped reading when YouTube started getting more page views that Google.

    ReplyDelete