Monday, April 12, 2010

Life is short folks, do what you can...

A colleague's father died 6 weeks ago. Her husband died 4 weeks ago. Her son committed suicide on Friday.

Her FATHER died 6 weeks ago.

Her HUSBAND died 4 weeks ago.

Her SON committed suicide on Friday.

When one of my close colleagues Bob* told me what happened this morning, I gasped loudly. It's a cliché but quite a natural reaction when you hear that someone had suffered so many losses within such a short period of time.

I don't know how Mary* is going to pull through this. I don't know how I would pull through this! How do you bounce back after losing arguably the 3 most important men/people in your life?

For a brief moment, I thought about the news Bob gave me this morning: "Mary's son committed suicide." I thought about the prior events & wondered if Mary's son felt life wasn't worth living any longer without his father & grandfather around. Which makes me ponder what Mary could be feeling without her son, husband & father around.

After I thought about Mary & her recent situation, I gave thanks to God for seeing another day & asked him to forgive me for bitching about another Monday. I thought about the cliché "life is short" and how true it has proven to be in the past 6 months. I reflected on Saturday night, when Gucci Mane's "Wasted" blared through Suite's speakers, I thought about Ricky & wished he was with me because that was his song. He passed almost 6 months ago & that song still gets me; I stopped dancing & sent a tweet saying "RIP RICKY" before carrying on with a mellow two-step. I thought about how you just never know where life can take you & you never know what other people are going through at any moment.

Then I became livid. Yesterday was my sister's 38th birthday. She & I haven't been speaking for months now, all because of a package I never received and due to a miscommunication through text messages. I'm not going to get into it but the outcome of the text war was her telling me that I'm cut off from all things concerning her daughter (my niece) and that she (my sister) 'does not like me right now' and doesn't want to speak to me. Though the anger came out of left field & banning me from my niece was an extremely irrational reaction, I still left her 2 apologetic voice mails & text messages only to have them left unanswered. Yesterday, it was her birthday and even though her reaction & lack of maturity infuriates me, I sent her a "happy birthday" text, only to have that left unanswered as well.

So why am I blogging about this? It's a reminder that life is seriously too short. I don't understand what is worth being so stubborn over, when we know that our time on this Earth is limited. So due to Mary's unfortunate & sad events, I may have to bite the bullet yet again and make my sister get over this because life is extremely unpredictable & unfair to forsake family over a stupid, unreceived package.


*The names of my colleagues have been changed for this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment