Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The end of a relationship

I am mourning yet another loss. It's the loss of a friendship this time, guess a death of sorts. After 11 years of camaraderie, it's a wrap. Kaput. Just like that.

I was accused of knowing something I didn't actually know, and instead of believing in me, he chose not to believe. He chose to second guess my words. He chose to second guess me. He chose to interrogate me versus listening and understanding that I loved him. He has always known that before...why not now?

I'm curious to research how people react to their covers being blown...to uncover what the typical reaction is for those whose lies have been brought to light. Some would argue that they tend to misplace the blame & accuse others of wrongdoings. Some might even say that they would deter the focus of the real issue at hand, to bring attention to something else, something insignificant. I don't know what the general reaction would be but one would think that after 11 years, a friendship might be worth salvaging. Perhaps he was lying? I don't know but what IS obvious is that I DON'T KNOW a whole lot about friendships, and I'm going into my 30s! Geeze, what have I been learning?

So far I've learned that every 5 years or so, I do a "control + alt + delete" on some relationships, some get a "restart" and some carry on as normal. I think this can be healthy, as people change & want different things in life. Some "Operating Systems" get old & an upgrade becomes necessary. I just wouldn't have thought that due to a typo, my 11 year bond with this person would end so abruptly & without a pop-up warning box.

I have a lot to learn next year and I only hope that with age comes much wisdom. It saddens me that my track record as a friend wasn't good enough for him but here's hoping that when I reboot at 30 years old, I'll no longer have these issues plaguing me like a virus, I'll be fully functioning and almost like brand new!

*M*

1 comment:

  1. I just want you to know that you will never have to "control + alt + delete" on our friendship. xoxo

    ReplyDelete